ANX Community

Managed Remote Access

Contest: Share your funny or harrowing remote access story for a chance to win $100
Profile Image

Do you have a funny or troublesome remote access story?  We want to hear it.

More people are accessing corporate networks from alternate locations than ever before.  Even with in-house staff, the need for external access due to storms, volcanoes and the like have increased to meet work flow demands.  The need for remote access isn’t limited to in-house employees either.  Vendors, customers and consultants sometimes need secure access too.

Have you needed to access your corporate networks externally in a pinch? We have too.

So we want to know…

What was your funniest or most trying remote access experience?  Share it with us, and we will enter you into a drawing for a $100 American Express Gift Card. 

THERE ARE A FEW WAYS TO ENTER:

1. Post a story or an image under the comment section of our contest blog post. (1 point per entry.)

2.  Post a story or an image within the contest announcement thread.  (3 points per entry.)

To earn extra entries:

3. Once you have added your story on the blog OR in the community thread, tweet about our contest using the following tweet:

“I just shared my remote access story @ANX for a chance to win $100. You should too! (link)”

OR

4. Once you have added your story on the blog OR in the community thread, share the contest on your Facebook page and let us know you’ve done so on our Facebook page.

More details:

1. The contest ends on July 21, 2010 at 6:00 EST. 

2. To enter, you must comment on the blog or community post.

3. Two entries on each platform (Blog, Community, Facebook, Twitter) per person.

4. User names will be entered into a drawing to win a $100 American Express Gift card.

5. Winner will be announced on Twitter and on the Community page on July 22, 2010.

7 replies

Posted Jun 21st 2010, 09:06 by Kim Francisco

Responses

Re: Contest: Share your funny or harrowing remote access story for a chance to win $100
Profile Image

In high school I was into chatting online but sadly a remote connection was restricted to my bedroom. (The modem was clear on the other side of the house.) On rare occasion I would sit in one corner of the room and recieve at least a bar of connection. Needing my privacy one night I went online to message a boyfriend. Although his family was strictly religious I decided to send him a few unmodest pictures of myself to him for fun. There I went. . .clicking "SEND".

The Connection got Lost! I Frantically tried to reconnect (since timing is everything with these sorts of things.)  Once the connection was back and I hit "SEND" yet a second time. He told me he was still not reciving it so I clicked "SEND" over and over again when he suddenly signed off!

Confused and disappointed...

Read more

0 replies

Posted Jul 17th 2010, 20:31 by Erin

Re: Contest: Share your funny or harrowing remote access story for a chance to win $100
Profile Image

A few years back I held a summer job as a computer tech at a computer chop shop. The place was basically a giant warehouse that received defunct computers by the truckload every week. It was a gritty job ripping apart old PCs, fixing them, then selling them to the public for peanuts. I had slaved there for a couple months with a buddy of mine - we'll call him KC - until I discovered a little remote administration program called Sub7. Sub7 is a backdoor/trojan that can be used to remotely take over another PC that has the Sub7 client on it. It is excellent for playing pranks on unsuspecting coworkers, as KC and I had found out over time, such as turning the victim's display on and off, printing any message on their printer, hiding the Windows Start button, etc...

One week, the...

Read more

0 replies

Posted Jul 19th 2010, 13:30 by Jacek

Profile Image

My funny remote access story was that one time I was helping my friend in KY locate her ipod files on her computer while in NC. I remotely connected to her computer and did this, but then we decided to have a little fun. My friend called her husband into the room and said, "Look! What is wrong with the computer? It's like it's possessed or something! I'm not even touching it!" while I played around opening windows and closed them on the computer for him to see. For an added effect, I opened up notepad & typed, "Hi Nathan." (his name) He was seriously spooked, until he realized his wife was on the phone. Once he knew I was on the other end, he had pieced it all together. Thanks for the contest! codisweepstakes2 (@) gmail(dot)com  

4 replies

Posted Jul 20th 2010, 03:48 by Martha

Re: Re: Contest: Share your funny or harrowing remote access story for a chance to win $100
Profile Image

I posted my story in the comment section of your contest blog post. codisweepstakes2@gmail.com

3 replies

Posted Jul 20th 2010, 03:51 by Martha

Re: Re: Re: Contest: Share your funny or harrowing remote access story for a chance to win $100
Profile Image

I follow you on twitter (un:codisweepstakes) & tweeted: http://twitter.com/codisweepstakes/status/18976961954 codisweepstakes2 (@) gmail(dot)com

0 replies

Posted Jul 20th 2010, 03:52 by Martha

Re: Re: Re: Contest: Share your funny or harrowing remote access story for a chance to win $100
Profile Image

I posted about your contest on my facebook wall & left you a comment on your facebook wall. un:codipayne codisweepstakes2 (@) gmail(dot)com

1 reply

Posted Jul 20th 2010, 04:58 by Martha

Re: Re: Re: Re: Contest: Share your funny or harrowing remote access story for a chance to win $100
Profile Image

Thanks Martha!

0 replies

Posted Jul 20th 2010, 08:00 by Eric