ANX Community

Managed Remote Access

Re: Contest: Share your funny or harrowing remote access story for a chance to win $100
Profile Image

A few years back I held a summer job as a computer tech at a computer chop shop. The place was basically a giant warehouse that received defunct computers by the truckload every week. It was a gritty job ripping apart old PCs, fixing them, then selling them to the public for peanuts. I had slaved there for a couple months with a buddy of mine - we'll call him KC - until I discovered a little remote administration program called Sub7. Sub7 is a backdoor/trojan that can be used to remotely take over another PC that has the Sub7 client on it. It is excellent for playing pranks on unsuspecting coworkers, as KC and I had found out over time, such as turning the victim's display on and off, printing any message on their printer, hiding the Windows Start button, etc...

One week, the place hired a third computer tech - TW - to help us out. TW was pretty green, so KC and I decided to mess with him a bit and we put the Sub7 client on his machine. One day during lunch, TW got one of those giant 7Eleven 32 oz coffees and brought it back to his desk. He set it right in front of his computer case and started to mess around on his computer. Then the fun started. KC and I looked at each from a distance and signaled "go". We bit our tongues hard and got busy. All of a sudden TW's desktop icons dissapeared, his wallpaper changed, and he was getting bogus error messages which scared the pants off of him. He was a little worried by what was going on - but still unsuspecting - so he was about to reboot his computer until I clicked the "Open CD-ROM drive" in the Sub7 "Fun Manager". Next thing I know the guy's screaming, grabbing at his crotch, and running to the bathroom. Ouch. His entire desk was bathed in French Cappuccino. 

The guy came back a few hours later with a new pair of slacks and a sullen look on his face.

"Dude, that was crazy - what happened?" I asked. "We wiped your desk down while you were out. That was a lot of coffee."

"Well, my computer was acting really weird, and I tried to restart it but the next think I know I got hot coffee on my balls."

I did my best not to laugh my ass off. KC and I never told TW we were behind the whole thing, but luckily for him (or us) we decided to put Sub7 away for the rest of the summer.

0 replies

Posted Jul 19th 2010, 13:30 by Jacek Spiewla

Responses